October 16 - October 22
Co-op Week is an annual opportunity for Canadian co-operative and credit union members to celebrate the fact that they have collectively helped to build this country and to recognize their continuing contributions at home and abroad.
In 2016, Co-op Week will take place October 16 – 22, with Credit Union Day falling on Thursday, October 20. We are encouraging co-ops, credit unions and regional co-op networks to promote the week – and themselves – during this period!
Credit Union Day is designated as the third Thursday of October each year. Co-op Week is always celebrated during the week in which Credit Union Day falls. Materials for Credit Union Day can be obtained from Credit Union Central of Canada or your provincial credit union central.
The theme of Co-op Week 2016 is “Our Co-op Advantages” and as the provincial association for Ontario co-operatives, we have one simple ask: to share your views on why you choose to do business co-operatively. We want you to do this loudly and proudly in public, online, and most importantly, with your family and friends!
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF CO-OP WEEK?
- Explain the various benefits of the co-operative business model for creating a sustainable economy in the province.
- Celebrate the significant contributions of co-operatives in their communities across Ontario.
- Promote the relevance of the co-operative model, its mission as a local and sustainable development tool, as well the values and principles that guide it. In other words, promote the Co-operative Identity – what makes us diverse and what unifies us!
- Explore inter-co-operation through Principle Six: Co-operation among Co-operatives!
- Develop a better understanding of the advantages of co-operation among officers, employees, members of the movement and the general public.
Check out our Co-op Week 2016 write-up in the Downloads section of the right-hand toolbar to access some quick and easy facts and stats to share about co-operatives, and some of the many resources at your fingertips on co-ops provincially, nationally and internationally!
in 2015, the Saskatchewan Co-operative Association created a great toolkit for planning Co-op Week celebrations, which you can download as well.
Finally, for those of you who have organized special events and celebrations, feel free to share your Co-op Week stories and photos with us on Facebook! Don’t forget to use the handle @ontariocoops and the hashtag #coops so we can see you.